Roots in the Community
The ground beneath A12 has been part of Louisville's story for well over a century. Founded in 1896, Neighborhood House was Kentucky's very first settlement house — a place where immigrants and working families came together for English classes, citizenship courses, job training, kindergarten, and community support. The lot at 410 S. 1st Street served as its play yard, a patch of open ground where neighborhood children gathered while their families built new lives in a growing city.
That chapter came to an abrupt end in the mid-1960s. Following the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956, Interstate 65 was routed directly through the heart of downtown Louisville. Originally planned to run straight down Second Street to the Clark Memorial Bridge, the route was shifted east after architects warned it would divide downtown in two — but the diagonal path it ultimately cut through Louisville's street grid was, by many accounts, even more destructive. Hundreds of buildings were demolished and entire neighborhood centers were leveled to make way for the new highway.
Neighborhood House was among the landmarks lost. The settlement house was torn down, its play yard at 410 S. 1st Street fell quiet, and the lot that had once rung with children's voices sat empty — just one small piece of a much larger transformation that reshaped downtown Louisville for good.
The Harcourt Holdout
After I-65 was built, First National Bank began assembling land at 101 South Fifth Street for what would become the First National Tower — known today as PNC Tower. One by one, surrounding property owners sold, but the Harcourt family — manufacturers and distributors of school commencement products, specializing in class rings and printed materials — refused to leave. Their business had long called that block home, and they were the last holdout.
Rather than abandon the project, First National struck a deal: they would build the Harcourt family an entirely new building on the former Neighborhood House play yard at 410 S. 1st Street — a lot that had sat vacant since the highway went through. In 1970, the building at 410 was completed and the Harcourt family moved in.
Decades of Purpose
The Harcourt family operated out of 410 for more than two decades. In the 1990s, the building transitioned into a new role as offices for Jewish Hospital. In the years that followed, it housed a variety of other professional businesses, each adding another quiet chapter to the building's working history on this downtown block.
A New Chapter with Super Stays
When Super Stays acquired the property, they saw more than a completely depreciated office building — they saw a structure with a story worth preserving and a location worth celebrating. A careful renovation transformed 410 into A12: a modern boutique stay that honors the character of the original building while offering guests something entirely new in the heart of downtown Louisville.
Every detail of the renovation was guided by a simple idea — that the best buildings carry their history forward, not behind them. A12 is the latest chapter in a story that stretches back more than a century on this ground, and we're glad you're part of it.